What to do when you receive a Jury Summons -
- Bring the summons and affidavit with you when reporting for service.
- Complete the payment request portion.
- Check Online or
telephone the night prior to your scheduled date to
confirm you are required to report. Please remember to check online or call, it may
save you an unnecessary trip to the courthouse.
Qualifications For Jury Service -
You do not qualify for Jury Service if:
- You are not a United States citizen;
- You are under 18 years of age;
- You are not a resident of Monterey County;
- You do not have sufficient knowledge of the English language to act as a trial juror;
- You have been convicted of a felony or malfeasance in office and your rights have not been restored;
- You are currently serving as a grand or trial juror in any court of this state;
- You are the subject of a conservatorship;
- Active duty peace officers (PC830.1, PC 830.2(a), PC 830.33(a)) may also be excused from jury service.
If any of these conditions apply, the appropriate box on the summons must be checked and the summons must be signed and returned within five business days of receipt.
NOTE: A request to be excused from jury service based on undo hardship, financial burden, work hardship, or religious reasons must be made in court and can only be granted by the trial court judge on the date of your appearance.
Failure To Appear -
Pursuant to Code of Civil Procedures Section 209, any juror who fails to respond to a jury summons as
directed may be found in contempt of court, punishable by a fine, incarceration or both.
If you have received a summons for jury duty and did not appear as instructed a Failure to Appear status has been added to your juror record.
You will receive a letter directing you to contact the Jury Commissioner’s
Office to schedule a new date. Your Failure to Appear status will be vacated upon your appearance
on the new date.
Additional Information -
Child care is not available.
Business attire is suggested and shorts and tank tops are not permissible. Jurors are advised to dress in layers as the temperature of the jury assembly areas and courtrooms can be unpredictable.
Students may request to be postponed until the next school break. Status, as a student is not a valid reason to be excused.
Juror Payment Fees:
Starting with the second day of service, jurors will be paid at the rate of $15.00 per day.
Jurors will be paid for transportation costs at the rate of 34 cents per mile, traveling to
court, one-way only, starting with the second day of service. (CCP 215(a) and (c))
If you require special accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the
Jury Commissioner's Office